Making my own incense was one of the first things I learned how to do as a little witchling. There's something about standing over a smoking cauldron that speaks to my soul. Not only is it very powerful intention work, it feels badass and witchy AF. Here is a recipe for a Protection Incense blend and how to make it. ~Happy Witchcrafting~
~ You will need~
- A heat safe container (Like a cauldron)
- Sand or salt
- A charcoal block
- A lighter
- Something to hold the charcoal block while you light it, I use tongs or a pair of scissors.
- Mortar and Pestle
- Herbs including:
- Frankincense Resin
- Bay Leaves
~Feel free to use any herbs you like, any variety or amount that you wish, this is just a small beginning list.
~Make sure that you have a resin in your incense, this will help get it to stick together.
Okay, you have everything you need, here's what's next!
- Put all of your herbs together in the mortar and pestle. Crush into a powder (or close enough).
- Sprinkle the sand or salt onto the bottom of the heat safe container. This will help absorb the heat from the charcoal block.
- Hold the charcoal block in the tongs or scissors with one hand and use the lighter in the other hand to light the charcoal. This can sometimes take a moment, so don't give up. You want to hold the flame on the block until it begins to crackle and glow.
- Place the lit charcoal onto the salt/sand in the heat safe container.
- Sprinkle your herbs a little at a time as needed to keep the smoke going.
Remember that this can get pretty smokey, so it's not a bad idea to open a window or have a fan going.
I hope this helps! Enjoy~
Maggie with the Dark Moon Apothecary and Armory